Common Pasture Purchase, Newburyport

In a three-part project, 293 acres of the 700-acre Common Pasture – a scenic and historic swath of agricultural land located on the border of Newburyport and neighboring Newbury – was preserved using CPA and other funds. The Common Pasture dates back to the area’s original European settlement in 1635, when the land was used in common for the grazing of livestock. The purchase will ensure that this land remains as a public asset in perpetuity. Today, thousands of commuters enjoy views of the Common Pasture’s open fields and farmland, complete with grazing cattle, from Route 95 each day, and residents treasure the area for its extensive vistas, traditional agricultural uses, and unparalleled bird habitat.